Throughout the last few decades, there have been tremendous efforts towards LGBTQ+ rights. Although there is progress, there are still several issues that should be discussed. One of these problems is the startling relationship between LGBTQ+ individuals and mental health conditions. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness, people who are a part of the LGBTQ+ community are three times as likely to have mental health conditions than those who do not identify as part of the community. Due to prejudice and societal pressures LGBTQ+ individuals face, it can be extremely hard to deal with these issues.
Stigmas, stereotypes, and discrimination are only a few factors that play a role in the mental health of LGBTQ+ people. According to Mental Health America, 96.6% of the population identifies as heterosexual leaving only 3.4% of the population identifying as “other”. This small percentage can cause a feeling of isolation which can indirectly lead to mental health conditions such as depression and social anxiety. Since many people may feel alone, they are unaware of treatments and therapy that can aid them. It is important to have readily available resources for those in the LGBTQ+ community who are struggling with mental health.
Having discussions is a key step towards reducing the number of people who feel lost in this world due to their gender or sexuality. Addressing the correlation between mental health and the LGBTQ+ community is important because it can potentially affect approximately 250,000 people worldwide. Another problem is that LGBTQ+ individuals feel silenced or a lack of yearning to talk about the negative emotions they have dealt with. The concept of mental health conditions in the community is almost normalized by society. A lot of times the media portrays an LGBTQ+ character as someone who is dealing with negative mental health aspects.
Representation in the media is extremely important, however, when issues that should not be normalized begin to be normalized, there’s an issue. Mental health conditions can be treated if approached correctly. Most LGBTQ+ people do not realize this because conditions such as self-harm and suicidal thoughts are deemed normal. One solution to this problem is to encourage those in the community who are having a hard time with their mental health to seek a therapist, healthcare professional, or friend will make a huge difference.